1. What must we do? We must gather together before the Lord.
Zephaniah 2:1 – “Gather yourselves together, yea, gather together, O nation not desired.”
2. Why must we gather together before the Lord? Because we have become undesirable unto the Lord.
Zephaniah 2:1 – “. . . O nation not desired.”
3. Why have we become undesirable unto the Lord? Because of our sinfulness.
Zephaniah 1:17 – “. . . Because they have sinned against the LORD . . . .”
a. Because we have worshipped falsehood.
Zephaniah 1:5 – “And them that worship the host of heaven upon the housetops . . .”
(Remember that a pursuit after covetousness or self-interest is also false worship – See Matthew 6:24;
Colossians 3:5; Philippians 3:18-19; 1 John 2:5-6)
b. Because we have mixed the worship of the Lord with falsehood.
Zephaniah 1:5 – “. . . And them that worship and that swear by the LORD, and that swear by Malcham.”
c. Because we have turned back from the fellowship and service of the Lord.
Zephaniah 1:6 – “And them that are turned back from the LORD . . . .”
d. Because we have not sought after the Lord or enquired for Him.
Zephaniah 1:6 – “. . . And those that have not sought the LORD, nor enquired for him.”
e. Because we have disregarded any accountability before the Lord.
Zephaniah 1:12 – “And it shall come to pass at that time, that I will search Jerusalem with candles, and punish
the men that are settled on their lees: that say in their heart, The LORD will not do good, neither will he do
4. When must we gather together before the Lord? BEFORE His fierce anger come upon us.
Zephaniah 2:2 – “Before the decree bring forth, before the day pass as the chaff, before the fierce anger of the LORD come upon you, before the day of the LORD’S anger come upon you.”
5. What are we to do when we gather together before the Lord? We must seek for His gracious forgiveness and fellowship.
Zephaniah 2:3 – “Seek ye the LORD.”
a. We must come to a position of meekness before the Lord.
Zephaniah 2:3 – “. . . All ye meek of the earth . . . .”
b. We must repent with broken-hearted conviction at the Lord’s judgment.
Zephaniah 2:3 – “. . . Which have wrought his judgment . . . .”
c. We must pursue a pathway of righteousness and meekness.
Zephaniah 2:3 – “. . . Seek righteousness, seek meekness . . . .”
6. What hope do we have if we so gather before the Lord? We may find hope in His mercy and grace.
Zephaniah 2:3 – “. . . It may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD’S anger.”
Posted in Meditations in Zephaniah, Rebellion against God, Anger of the Lord, Biblical Humility, Repentance of Sin,
Grace and Mercy of God